Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Gardening

This past weekend my brother in law and his girlfriend came over to help get the garden started.  With the wife in her last month of pregnancy, and me with a gimpy foot, it’s been hard to get yard work done on my own.  The BIL’s girlfriend also wanted a place to garden, as they don’t have one, and I gladly would share our space to help alleviate some of the work.  With the baby almost here, I know my available time for yard work is going to go way down. 

So, yesterday we tilled (manually...ugh) half the garden.  A little back story on the garden first though.  When we bought our house last year, the garden hadn’t been touched in years.  It was full of weeds that were well over 6 and 7 feet tall, some of them very woody.  Last year I killed them off, and chopped them down.  This spring I tarped the rest of the garden over to try and kill off whatever was left and attempting to grow. Luckily, we got most of it.  So, back to the tilling.  Luckily, my lazy streak, foot pain, and slight ability to think logically all came together, and instead of tilling all 10x20 some feet of garden, we decided to only do half.  Smart move, considering the soil was basically clay and had been extremely compacted. We hadn’t bought a ton of vegetables, so there was really no need to break our backs doing the whole garden.  After finally getting our roughly 10x 10 (maybe 10x 12?) section tilled, we mixed in 200 lbs of compost and added 400 lbs of top soil.  It barely made a dent in raising the level as high as I would like it, but this is going to be a multi year process.  We planted some zucchini , a couple different varieties of tomatoes, straighneck squash, and finally some red, green, poblano and cayenne peppers.  We then re-tarped the other half of the garden for now. It’s possible that I may till and get it ready for a late summer/fall crop, but I’m not worried about it right now. If that doesn’t happen, there is always next year. 

We also planted some deck boxes of herbs.  Thyme, Dill, Basil (in it's own pot), oregano, rosemary and parsley.  I’m hoping they get enough light sitting where they are, I’ll have to keep an eye on them. Herbs and deck boxes are new to me, so we’ll have to see.

I also planted a spearmint plant along the back of the house. The previous owners were absolutely horrible at landscaping, and taking care of the yard in general. So, the bed that is along the house is half full of rocks, and weeds.  I will clean the rest of the bed out, and I plan on putting in a root barrier and letting the mint proliferate all throughout the beds along the house as decorative plants/ground cover. Mint is obviously also good for cooking, and making Mojitos.

We also have two apple trees in back that my dad and I have been trying to rehabilitate them, as they were never pruned or taking care of.  Hopefully, they’ll produce again, and we can harvest some apples this year. They did produce last year, and since we’re getting them back into shape, I hope we can get some better fruit this year.  In the future, I’d like that add a couple more beds for berries. Raspberries and strawberries for sure, and maybe we’ll attempt something else too. 

All of this work will hopefully pay off.  I’d really like to have the garden, and the rest of the yard producing for when the baby starts growing up.  It’d be nice to have fresh veggies and fruit for her, and also to teach her how to garden, and about self sufficiency.  Plus, it’s another great way to make sure we’re outside, enjoying fresh air, and not watching TV. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm trying to convince my husband to remove all our trees in the backyard so we can buy a bunch of apple trees. If the plant doesn't produce anything edible, I really don't want it. It would be nice to have a yard full of food that we can eat or freeze and eat all year round. Glad you have your garden up and running. It is a huge process! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'd like to do eventually. I was upset when I found out that the previous owners cut down a plum tree for no reason. I'd like to replace it eventually, either with another plum tree, or possibly a pear tree. It's the same reason I'm using mint as a ground cover in the rear beds. You should checkout the book The Backyard Homestead if you haven't already! I know that cows and chickens are out, but growing food isn't! Someday I'd still like to have chickens...

      Delete
  2. I have raspberries when you want to transplant a few. This year looks like a bumper crop. They really multiply quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds good Mom. Not sure if the berry beds will be built late this year, or wait until next year. It's funny, people are always willing to part with raspberries.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you got a good start. I can't wait to see what you got done. It is pretty amazing how big dirt/compost looks when it is in a pile or in bags and then how small it looks when you actually get it on the ground. Hopefully see you guys this weekend.

    ReplyDelete